25.5 C
Wednesday, February 21, 2024
  • HOME
  • Cairns News

    Grants and support available for residents in parts of Moreton Bay LGA affected by floods

    Residents in parts of the Moreton Bay local government area (LGA) who have been impacted by severe flooding over recent days can now access financial assistance and support services.

    Minister for Communities and Housing Leeanne Enoch said this included Emergency Hardship Assistance grants, of up to $180 per person and $900 for a family of five or more, to support residents experiencing financial hardship as a result of this flooding.

    “This is another significant flooding event only weeks after devastating floods hit the south-east,” Ms Enoch said.

    “Over the past couple of days we’ve seen properties and businesses inundated by floodwaters again.

    “This includes a small area in the Moreton Bay LGA on Beachmere and Riversleigh roads.

    “We will also reach out directly to a handful of individual residents in hard-hit areas in Beachmere, Deception Bay, Burpengary and Burpengary East.”

    Grants are open for people in the following locations:

    • Lockyer Valley LGA – entire LGA
    • Moreton Bay LGA – targeted to Beachmere Road, Riversleigh Road in Beachmere and a small number of individual properties in Beachmere, Deception Bay, Burpengary and Burpengary East 
    • Southern Downs LGA – entire LGA

    Financial assistance is available under jointly-funded Commonwealth/State-Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA).

    Minister Enoch said Emergency Hardship Assistance grants help cover the costs of essential items, such as food, medication and clothing, for people who have been directly impacted by this disaster.

    “Other grants such the Essential Household Contents Grant, Structural Assistance Grant and Essential Services Safety and Reconnection Grant, which are income tested, are also available to eligible residents who are uninsured and have experienced certain loss or damage following this disaster,” she said.

    “Emotional and psychosocial support is also available through our non-government partners, to help people through their recovery.”

    To apply for grants and find more information:

    Additionally, anyone impacted by the flood event can apply for housing assistance, including homeowners and private renters, by visiting www.qld.gov.au or calling 13QGOV (13 74 68).

    Minister for Communities and Housing, Minister for Digital Economy and Minister for the Arts

    The Honourable Leeanne Enoch


    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here